50 Amazing and good things that happened in 2016
One more year gone and we all have moved on in our lives. For some 2016 was an awesome year, whereas some of us faced unfavorable events. But does one event or one undesired moment can make a whole year bad?
Well for me its not. Every year we learn something new about ourselves which we never noticed earlier. Each year brings a lot of happy moments along with some sad tweaks. But isn’t it possible, that we carry the good things with us and leave the sad memories behind? One of my friends told me that we can create happier memories by killing away the painful ones. After all happiness is a choice which lies inside us. I can be happy with or without any reason. As in the move Troll, Poppy says: the real happiness comes from inside. External happiness is temporary whereas internal happiness is eternal.
If you are one of those people who thinks 2016 was just an ordinary year, then the facts below will blow your mind. Let’s see some of the happy moments from 2016.
Some Happy Moments of 2016
- New chemotherapy breakthroughs have increased the 5-year survival for pancreatic cancer from 16% to 27%.
- In a monumental finding that shakes up the world of physics, researchers have detected gravitational waves, which Albert Einstein theorized a century ago. Until now, it wasn’t possible to detect such a phenomenon.
- The Americas Are Finally Entirely Declared Measles-Free.
- Scientists figured out how to link robotic limbs with the part of the brain that deals with intent to move so people don’t have to think about how they will move the limb, it can just happen.
- Child mortality is down everywhere and it keeps going down.
- The gene responsible for ALS has been found, meaning we are closer to an effective treatment.
- A solar powered plan circumnavigated the world.
- Michael Jordan donates 2 million $ to try and help bridge connection between police and the community.
- Tiger numbers are growing for first time in 100 years.
- Giant panda is no longer endangered. The wild panda population jumped to 1,864 in 2014 — up from 1,596 in 2004 — marking a significant achievement for Chinese agencies working to enforce poaching bans and expand forest reserves.
- Pakistan has made strides toward outlawing honor killings.
- 70,000 Muslim clerics declared a fatwa against ISIS.
- California is now powering over 6 million homes with solar power, a record in the US (and that is the tightest shit.
- Volunteers in India planted 50 million trees in 24 hours.
- Apparently world crime as a whole has drastically declined as a whole in the last couple of decades.
- Coffee consumption has been proved to help curtail cancer and suicide rates.
- 500 elephants were relocated to a better, safer and bigger home.
- We made massive strides in Alzheimers’ prevention.
- The ozone layer is repairing itself and all the work we did to get rid of those aerosol chemicals was actually worth it.
- A new therapy developed in Israel could cure radiation sickness.
- The Anglican Church resolved to solemnize same-sex unions the same as opposite-sex unions which required a super majority of all three orders of the church (lay, clergy, bishop).
- The Rabbinical Assembly issued a resolution affirming the rights of transgender and non-conforming individuals.
- Precision treatments for cancer are hitting clinical trials and WORKING (as someone who’s had relatives with cancer this is the best news).
- Dentists are once again providing free care to veterans who need it.
- The Orlando Shakespeare Festival showed up with angel wings to block funeral-goers for the Orlando Pulse victims, view from anti-gay protesters.
- Rise Women’s Legal Centre opened.
- Death by heart disease has decreased by 70% in the United States.
- Two brothers saw color for the first time thanks to specially-designed glasses.
- Portugal ran its entire nation solely on renewable energy for four days straight.
- A retiree is launching a project to transport 80 endangered rhinos to an Australian reservation to save the animals from poaching.
- An Afghan teacher has been delivering books via bicycle to villages that lack school.
- Harriet Tubman is going to replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill.
- 200 strangers attended the funeral of a homeless WW2 veteran with no family.
- A teen battling cancer married his sweetheart.
- Bank firm pays for college tuition for the children of employees who died in the 9/11 attacks.
- New medicine has been shown to increase melanoma survival rate to 40%.
- Over 800 Boko Harem Hostages were rescued by Nigerian Army.
- Toys R Us is Offering Quiet Shopping Hour for kids with autism this holiday season.
- Volunteers made special tiny Halloween costumes for NICU babies.
- A 4-year old befriends a lonely man and helped him heal after losing his wife.
- In a groundbreaking agreement between 24 different countries and the European Union, the world’s largest marine reserve will be established in Antarctica’s Ross Sea.
- In a historic moment, after four years of negotiations, FARC rebels in Colombia have signed a peace deal with the government, bringing to an end decades of armed conflict and setting up a process for reconciliation and reintegration.
- American Teen Graduation Rate Reaches Historic High.
- 2016 Was One of the Safest Years in Aviation History.
- Catholic and Orthodox leaders meet for first time in 1,000 years.
- The teenage birth rate hit an all-time low in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- After a 1.7-billion-mile, five-year journey, NASA’s Juno spacecraft entered Jupiter’s orbit on July 4.
- A plane just went around the entire world without a drop of fuel. The first round-the-world flight by a solar-powered plane was completed by Solar Impulse 2. The plane, with a wider wingspan than that of a Boeing 747, began its fossil-fuel-free journey back in March 2015.
- VR is finally a reality. HTC Vive and Oculus Rift are available. It’s awesome. Still a bit expensive, but awesome.
- GSK and Google created a bioelectronics health firm.
Aren’t these facts cool? Do you feel happy now? You can share your happy moments too. Let’s be safe and happy.
For more interesting information, keep reading.